Nutrition for cognitive function
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FNR09
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course focuses on how you can use diet and nutrition to make the most of your mind, memory and mood, and how diet can influence the development of degenerative conditions such as memory loss and Alzheimer's disease.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Improving memory and concentration through diet
- How diet can influence the development of degenerative conditions such as dementia, Alzheimer’s and memory loss
- Causes of low mood and how to address them
- Nutrients needed for a healthy brain chemistry
- Key vitamins and minerals for brain function and how to include them in your diet
- Brain friendly fats
- How inflammation effects brain health
- Devising a diet to optimise brain function.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- List which foods and nutrients are important for healthy brain function
- List which foods are damaging to brain function
- Discuss the causes of mental degeneration
- Devise a diet which optimises brain function.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous experience is necessary: anyone interested in this subject is welcome on the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will be via class discussion, PowerPoint presentations, worksheets, pair work, and lecture. No homework will be given.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have pens and paper for taking notes. Hand-outs will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to attend one of the other courses taught by Ellie Holly at City Lit, including 'Nutrition for cardiovascular health', 'Nutrition for a happy mind' or 'Veggie and vegan vitality: a nutritional guide'.
Ellie Holly has been practising herbal medicine and nutritional therapy for almost twenty years. She is highly qualified and experienced at treating patients with a wide range of health issues. She has been devising, writing and delivering nutrition courses to adults for over ten years. Ellie is passionate about using her knowledge to educate and enlighten people with energy and enthusiasm so that they are empowered to make positive changes in their diets and lifestyles. To find out more about Ellie, the courses she teaches and her work seeing patients in private practise, please visit her website: www.hollyhealthcare.co.uk
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.