Painting workshop: focus on colour
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
What is the course about?
Through practical exercises and experimentation, develop your sensitivity towards colour. Investigate the foundations of colour theory to mix and apply the colours you want.
What will we cover?
- Developing skills in mixing observed colour
- Colour theory and the science of seeing
- Mixing colour and understanding the colour wheel
- Relating theory to practice for painters.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the basics of colour theory and colour perception
- Relate colour theories to practice and improve painting
- Mix acrylic paint (some oil use)
- Take away a painted colour wheel for future reference
- Present a small painting based on observed colour mixing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners and intermediates with some painting experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Colour mixing exercises
- Group discussions-theories and practice
- Individual tuition and feedback
- Slide-selection of current and traditional examples by painters and colour theorists.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic materials for the course are provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue working with colour in one of our painting modules, such as Painting,1 or Painting 2. if you would like to pursue your own painting projects, our Drawing and painting studio: intermediate to advanced is ideal.
Benjamin Senior is a London-based professional artist and teacher specialising in painting and drawing and colour. His teaching practice is driven by his extensive research in to the practical history of painting, often focusing on techniques of the past such as egg tempera and Old Master methods of painting. In his painting practice Benjamin Senior has exhibited nationally and internationally since graduating from MA Painting at the Royal College of Art in 2010, opening exhibitions in New York, Milan, Zurich, and Dubai including the Hayward Gallery Touring exhibition Slow Painting (2019-20). In 2016 he was one of the official printmaking artists of Team GB during the Rio Olympic Games. Committed to bringing an accessible and enlivening approach to painting tuition, teaches in institutions across London including Dulwich Picture Gallery, UAL Camberwell College of Arts, Working Men’s College and City Lit.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.