Pathway to ECDL level 3
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CMS03
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will provide you with the necessary background to be able to do ECDL Level 3. It will consolidate skills learned at level 2 and also prepare you for the challenging work of level 3. Areas we will focus on include: using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables, creating templates in Word; creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel; using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint. There will also be a brief introduction to Access including understanding key concepts in database development and usage.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
What will we cover?
Some of the areas covered will depend on the needs of the group but we will focus on:
• using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables and creating templates in Word
• creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understanding key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel sufficiently confident and competent to go ECDL level 3
• identify the areas you are most competent in and the areas you need to develop
• use mail merge tools, create, manipulate and format tables, and create templates in Word
• create, format and adjust charts, use formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• use different slide layouts and apply slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understand key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a preparation course for ECDL Level 3. All students are expected to have a passed the ECDL level 2 course or have relevant experience. You are advised to come for interview and assessment if you are new to City Lit before enrolling on this course. If you need to develop your ESOL, English or Maths skills to enable you to get the most from this course, please contact the department.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are advised to come for an advice and assessment session before doing this course. Otherwise,
please also bring a folder, pens and paper to class. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is a preparation for ECDL Level 3 both certificate and award but it can also be a stand alone course for those wanting to consolidate their skills. There are a variety of courses you can do either after this course or at the same time in addition to ECDL Level 3 These include our intermediate and advanced Microsoft Office courses specifically designed for the workplace. There are also a number of specialist Excel courses. Your tutor will advise you on the best course for you.You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.