Piano: advanced workshop
Time: 10:15 - 13:15
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: ME256B
Please choose a course date
Duration: 10 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
Improve your technique and command of tone, colour and sonority. Enhance your interpretative resourcefulness, practise more effectively and improve projection and the ability to communicate with an audience and improve your own teaching skills.
What will we cover?
- A wide range of piano literature with reference to individual commitments such as exams, concerts and teaching
- Discussion and comparison of different practice and teaching methods
- Analyse and study technique in depth.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate solid technique and thorough understanding of how to apply it
- Demonstrate enhanced understanding of the works played
- Communicate your enhanced musical understanding to an audience
- Demonstrate strong listening skills and aural perceptiveness
- Demonstrate increased ability to make significant interpretative decisions, especially with respect to the stylistic/aesthetic and historical context of the studied repertoire.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have completed grade 8 and ideally be of a Diploma ABRSM standard. Previous performing experience is essential. You need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- All courses use Google Classroom to share materials and messages, including any homework tasks.
- Classes are taught through group work, discussion and exchange of ideas/suggestions between class members. There will also be practical demonstration by the tutor.
- A regular practice routine is essential to progress at this level.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students should have access to a piano (acoustic or digital) for practice between classes and budget approximately £15 per term for scores. Music may be purchased new or second-hand. Suitable scores may also be available from IMSLP.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may repeat Piano: advanced workshop for as long as you wish.
You may wish to support your learning through a focus on reading, writing and hearing music and musical patterns. For more details about musicianship and music theory please visit our blog: Musicianship and music theory at City lit which lists our full sequence of musicianship and music theory classes.
Greek pianist Nikos Stavlas studied at the National Conservatory of Thessaloniki (Diploma and First Prize, 2003), at the University of Macedonia, Thessaloniki (BMus with distinction, 2005) and at the Royal College of Music with Yonty Solomon and Kathron Sturrock (Masters Degree with distinction, 2007), financially supported both by the Greek State Scholarship Foundation and by the RCM itself. He holds a PhD from Goldsmiths, University of London (supervised by Andrew Zolinsky and Keith Potter) on Ludwig van, a film and a musical composition dedicated to Beethoven by the Argentinian composer Mauricio Kagel. He has appeared several times as a soloist with orchestras in Greece, Albania and the UK, and has given solo and chamber music recitals in Greece, Albania, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the USA and the UK, most notably at the Southbank centre, St John's Smith Square and the Wigmore Hall. He has recorded live for BBC radio 3 and Catalunya música. He is a member of the Vladimir & Estragon Piano Duo, the Oiseaux Bizarres ensemble and the Ciklus ensemble. He is a keen performer of both classical and contemporary music, and also likes to explore rarely performed repertoire.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.