Piano workshop 8
Time: 13:30 - 16:00
Location: Keeley Street
Repertoire: 20th Century music - free choice.
Sorry, this date is now full
What is the course about?
Acquire a deeper understanding of the stylistic interpretation of a wide range of piano repertoire. Emphasis will be placed on improving technique, tone production, pedalling technique and rhythm/pulse co-ordination.
If you are unsure which course is best for you, please contact the music department for further advice where our teachers will help you select a class at the right level. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
**There may be other classes at this same level taught by different tutors: please check the drop-down menu for other course dates/times.
What will we cover?
- The choice of repertoire will usually include two - three composers per term
- Advanced technical and stylistic topics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Show an improved stylistic awareness
- Demonstrate developed fluency of rhythm and pulse co-ordination
- Demonstrate your technique further to approach more advanced repertoire
- Demonstrate an improved tone quality
- Display a subtle pedalling technique
- Make independent decisions in regards to pedalling, ornaments and articulation
- Produce layered texture of 2-3 voices.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have a playing standard approaching grade 8 or equivalent.
You need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English
and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- All courses use Google Classroom to share materials and messages, including any homework tasks.
- Classes are taught through tutor explanation and demonstration, and playing/listening workshop style.
- Sessions may also include aural skills, musicianship and theoretical study where applicable.
- A regular practice routine is essential to progress on this course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students should have access to a piano (acoustic or digital) for practice between classes and budget approximately
£15 per term for scores. Music may be purchased new or second-hand. Suitable scores may also be available from IMSLP.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may continue in Piano workshop 8 for as long as you wish. When you are ready, you may then progress to ‘Piano repertoire’ or ‘Piano: advanced workshop’. Your tutor will advise you.
You may also be interested in Music theory (all levels to Grade 8), Musicianship (e.g. Keyboard harmony & improvisation) or one of City Lit's wide range of Music history courses, including courses specifically on piano and keyboard music.
Petros Moschos has appeared as soloist and chamber musician in Greece, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Spain, Switzerland, Israel, Ireland, Venezuela, Canada, USA and UK in various festivals and venues including St John's Smith Square and Soutbank Centre. Awards include the Lilan Davies Piano Prize (Royal Academy of Music) and the prestigious Mykoniou Prize (Athens Academy). Petros has been soloist with many international orchestras and has recorded for Greek and American TV, as well as BBC3, Czech, Israeli and Bavarian radios. His solo debut CD was released in 1999 followed by two piano-duo CDs co-produced by Bavarian Radio and Genuin Musikproduktions. Additionally, he collaborates with pianist Dimitris Karydis, and their team Duo Antithesis has been awarded top prizes in prestigious international competitions such as the Murray Dranof Competition (USA) Schubert Competition (Czech Republic), Bellini Competition (Italy), Donostia Hiria (Spain) and others. He studied in Athens and London (Royal Academy of Music and City Uiversity) where he gained qualifications up to doctoral level. He teaches piano workshops at City Lit.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.