Time: 09:15 - 10:15
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FPL11
Duration: 14 sessions (over 14 weeks)
What is the course about?
Pilates is a form of body conditioning that concentrates on building strength from the core of the body to help improve posture, increase muscular strength, mobility and breathing. A variety of exercises are performed, flowing smoothly from one to the other whilst focusing on technique and control. Unlike many other body conditioning techniques,
Pilates focuses on working with a mild engagement of the core muscles to perform movements in a balanced and effective way.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Classes have a varied theme. Themes will include: improved posture and anatomical alignment; breathing patterns and how these influence movement; working the abdominals; Improving muscular strength and tone; increasing spinal mobility; hip, thigh and leg exercise for improved joint mobility and strength.
Each class builds upon the last so that you gradually become more physically challenged and, as your body responds, you feel more in tune and aware of your movements and stature.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use core muscles effectively
- Practise lateral breathing
- Perform muscular strength and endurance exercises
- Have a working knowledge of how to improve standing posture
- Have a working knowledge of how to improve sitting posture
- Choose to work at an appropriate and effective level for each movement
- Perform interconnected/combined co-ordinated flowing movements.
- Perform movements using Pilates equipment.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Classes at intermediate level are run at a quicker pace than mixed levels and experience in Pilates is required. Students are advised to choose the course level that is most appropriate to them. If you are attending a mixed levels class at City Lit, your Tutor will be able to advise you.
You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Practical class work, following tutor demonstration
- Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
- Some one-to-one guidance from the tutor
Although there is no specific work set outside of the class, students will gain most benefit if exercises are performed regularly and practised between classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose, comfortable clothing and socks, and have a towel to hand. Information on books will be given during the course, but these are not essential. Please avoid eating at least one and a half hours prior to exercising.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students can choose other courses from our Health and Wellbeing programme here at City Lit.
Designed to stretch, move and relax you; Cathy's classes are fun and welcoming both to beginners and regulars. She passionately believes that everyone can benefit from exercise as it leads to positive mental and physical changes to everyday life. Cathy has over 10 years experience; holding qualifications in Pilates and Movement for Older People, and is training to teach Yoga. Her clients include everyone from new mothers, older adults and young professionals to those with specialist needs including arthritis, back pain and MS. Clients are welcome to vist her sessions - please come along and give it a go.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.