Portuguese 3: module 2
Time: 19:35 - 21:05
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LP321
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course aims to provide further knowledge and understanding of the Portuguese language and to develop skills. It also gives an insight into Portuguese speaking countries culture and ways of life.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will continue developing all four skills, with emphasis on speaking and listening. A talk on a topic of the student’s choice to be given at the end of the term will help to build up confidence and explore the language. Homework will be given for a complete integration of all skills. Topics will include press, modern technology, leisure and free time, beliefs and superstitions, food and customs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- use some more tenses of the subjunctive mode with confidence
- talk and give your opinion about the different types of modern means of communication
- understand beliefs and customs of Brazilian and Portuguese people
- talk about food and ask more specific questions about a dish in a restaurant
- express regrets
- understand articles from the written press (newspapers and magazines)
- understand colloquialisms of the language
- talk about ecosystems.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to express yourself in Portuguese fairly accurately, specially the use of present, future and the various forms of past tense, and have studied Portuguese for at least three years.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on the tutor’s own materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Portuguese 3 lower module 3. Please enrol as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Denise Suzzara Delf started teaching Italian and English as a foreign language in Brazil. She moved to the UK in 1993 where she has been living ever since. As she wanted to continue her career in teaching, she completed the TEFL and Modern Languages course at Westminster College in 1994. She then started teaching Portuguese as a foreign language in adult education colleges. Denise has also done some work for Westminster Council as a language assistant in secondary and primary schools and has prepared private students for GCSE and A-level Portuguese. Denise has 26 years’ teaching experience in the UK and currently teaches Portuguese courses from beginners to level 4 at the City Lit.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.