Portuguese Holiday Kit
Time: 11:00 - 15:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBP00
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This Portuguese holiday kit is intended for beginning learners and those with no previous knowledge of Portuguese. This two-day course will give you the tools to hold simple / survival conversations whilst visiting a Portuguese speaking country.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- have a go at a simple conversation when you’re out & about, say hello & goodbye, give
and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where
you are from etc.)
- Ask someone to speak more slowly or to repeat what they've said
- buy items in shops, ask about prices
- order food & drinks & ask for the bill
- ask for directions
- numbers, including the time
- at the hotel
- buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
- describe common symptoms at the chemist / at the doctor
- get cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café which may be different from the UK).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
This course aims to enable students to communicate effectively in Portuguese while visiting a Portuguese speaking country.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners' course. No previous knowledge of the language is required.
You will need to be able to understand basic spoken and written information in English
(e.g. simple instructions, course documents) and be at ease with the use of numbers for
daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do
some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Portuguese language courses at various levels.. Please check with the Languages department.
Being a 'third culture kid', Claudia became interested in languages, travel and culture in her early years. After acquiring a Master’s degree in Communication Sciences and working as an Art Director, Travel Writer and Fine Art Landscape Photographer for some years, her lifelong passion for languages brought her to gain a Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults. As a native speaker of Portuguese and Spanish, she is experienced in delivering tailored language lessons for adults from all different backgrounds and levels. Being a global nomad since birth, different cultural experiences and the understanding that there is more than one way to look at situations, has given Claudia the insight of perceiving the world in different ways simultaneously. “Learning about other cultures and languages is one of the most useful and fulfilling things one can do as it broadens one's horizons in every aspect of life. It opens many doors not only regarding work and business opportunities but also as a way not only to really interact with other cultures but also learn from them. It is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself!”
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.