Public speaking for people who stammer
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS316
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
Find your own presentation style and grow your confidence in speaking to groups of people. Many people, whether they stammer or not, can become anxious at the thought of public speaking. This evening class will help you to reduce nerves and enjoy public speaking by connecting with your listeners and allowing your personality and communication style to come through. We will refresh previous work you have done on your speech and on thoughts and feelings about stammering. There will be lots of opportunities to practise public speaking and to benefit from the support and feedback of the group.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Overview and review of identification and desensitisation work and concentrated practice of modification aspects of stammering therapy and specific goal setting for each student
•Experiential exercises in understanding the power of non-verbal communication, such as rate of speech, eye contact with the audience, body language
• Presence and connection to listeners
• Speaking circles and opportunities to explore formal/informal speeches e.g. Best Man speeches, Team Meetings, Motivational Speaking, Storytelling, Humour
• Relaxation techniques and Mindfulness for developing awareness and a non-judgemental attitude to ourselves.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Understand your stammering, feel less sensitive about moments of stammering and be able to
modify moments of stammering with increased confidence
2. Gain greater confidence in making prepared and spontaneous addresses to small and large groups
3. Be aware of and develop your non-verbal communication strategies.
4. Say what you want to say and stammer easily in the group and outside the group.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for adults who stammer who have had some previous experience of stammering therapy. To access the course you will need have an adequate
level of English to:
• Express your opinions and feelings
• Follow instructions and make relevant contributions
• Make use of handouts with some assistance if required
Before joining the class, you will need to have a telephone advisory session with one of the speech therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There is a large component of practical work. Visual aids including video and handouts are used. Work will be undertaken both in the whole group and smaller sub-groups using a wide variety of communication activities. You are encouraged to extend therapy into working on your speech outside and to take an increasing level of responsibility for your learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other real costs although you are asked to bring a notebook to sessions.. We recommend you read the book Self-therapy for the stutterer by Malcolm
Fraser alongside the course. This can be borrowed from the City Lit library or bought from the British Stammering
Association for around £8.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may choose to do another Stage 2 stammering therapy course, or one of our topic-based courses.