Sewing for the home II
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
Location: Keeley Street
- Course Code: VJ144
- Dates: 07/05/24 - 21/05/24
- Time: 10:30 - 16:30
- Taught: Tue, Daytime
- Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
- Tutor: Suk Han Lee
Course Code: VJ144
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
What will we cover?
• Session 1 - Drafting stage: Step-by-step fun exercises with demonstrations to help you to choose your preference of stitching and methods to create your designs. You will choose a final design to take forwards and start preparing materials.
• Session 2 - Development Stage: You wil be working on your design, constructing it using a selection of hand & stitching and decorative techniques They can enrich your design by adding textures, softness and sometimes, 3D effects to your Cushion design.
• Session 3 - Finishing Stage: Completion of cushion cover, Group presentation and Q & Ato celebrate what you have created.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create a reference of stitching fabric samples
• Identify design process and select relevant materials which are suitable for your own design.
• Choose suitable fabrics and calculate quantities for your project.
• Cut and prepare fabrics correctly for sewing
• identify suitable techniques for creation for the production of your Cushion cover.
• Gain confidence of creating your own projects through drafting skills, sewing machine skills and hand stitching.
As an intermediate student you can:
• explore a range of stitches on the sewing machine and use various machine feet, tools and equipment.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for learners who have an interest in soft interiors. It is suitable for beginners who have basic sewing machine and hand stitching skills. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be encouraged to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance, and hand-outs to support your learning.
Additional / extension tasks may be set for you to complete at home and outside of the course hours. Completion of tasks is encouraged to help you get the most out of the course. Where required your tutor will discuss these with you during each session.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Access to basic materials and resources are available as part of the course.
Please bring a notebook/sketchbook where you can store your samples and a bag for your sewing. You will require material to complete your cushion. Your tutor will advise on suitable fabrics during the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a wide range of courses in Textiles, Fashion and Crafts where you can use the skills you have learnt on this course. Please browse the website for upcoming courses.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library from Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 14:00 then 16:00 - 18:00.
Suk Han LEEs original print designs have been used by many international fashion brands and retailers such as Halston, Calvin Klein, Whistles, Reiss, KIN by John Lewis, ASOS and Sweaty Betty. She launched new print collections twice a year at Premiere Vision in Paris and worked closely with sales representatives in US and Australia over many years. One of her most recognisible prints in the UK was for a Whistles dress which was worn by Kim Sears while she was attending Andy Murray's winning match during the London Olympics. That particular dress sold out instantly that afternoon! Suk Han LEE graduated with an MA in Fashion Womenswear from the Royal College of Art. She set up her own design studio to pursue her passion not only in print design, but also to explore ideas in sustainable wellness projects.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.