Sing rock, pop and soul 1
Time: 10:30 - 12:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: MF640
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
To produce a good strong voice with confidence and without strain. To develop performing skills for solo and group singing. To work on technique - projection, range, flexibility, control and vocal qualities. Learn to listen effectively, and learn classic and contemporary repertoire.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- warm-up techniques/breathing exercises to support and maintain the voice.
- learning contemporary songs
- collaborating with the accompanist
- working with lyrics and how to express with good tone, range and performance.
- establishing a practice regime.
- begin to improvise.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- work to build a dynamic expressive voice
- understand how music works, counting, keys, song form, etc.
- improve performance stamina, control, pitch and intonation
- deal with stage fright and gain confidence
- awake the creative musician within - explore improvisation and interpretation
- have developed good singing and breathing technique
- perform the following songs : Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers, A Million Reasons - Lady Gaga, Somewhere Only We Know - Keane, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Reading, Soon We'll Be Found - Sia.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need a basic knowledge of the musical areas covered in the course title, and the ability to pitch and project your voice. You are expected to have completed a beginner's singing course, and be ready to work towards solo singing. You must be able to sing in time and in tune.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Vocal warm ups and technical exercises. Listening and learning both as audience and performer. Responding to feedback. Attempting improvisation. Building expression through singing techniques and your understanding of the song.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may need to purchase sheet music and/or download backing tracks.
You may wish to support your learning through a focus on reading, writing and hearing music and musical patterns. For more details about musicianship and music theory please visit our blog: Musicianship and music theory at City lit which lists our full sequence of musicianship and music theory classes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Karen Lane is an Australian jazz singer based in London; she also plays piano and is a songwriter. She started her singing career as a soul/pop artist transitioning to jazz. Since arriving in the UK she has worked with some of our finest musicians including Tom Cawley, Andy Hamill, Robin Aspland, Martin Shaw, Geoff Gascoyne, Steve and Matt Fishwick, Dominic Ashworth, Gareth Lockrane, Simon Woolf, Gabriel Latchin, Steve Watts and Graham Harvey. She has found herself performing in exotic places she’d never imagined she’d see, including Sicily, Portafino, Nice, Monte Carlo, Berlin, Cape Town and Bucharest. She has a love of Brazilian music Karen performs regularly at jazz clubs around London. She has released six critically acclaimed albums to date, from Once in a Lifetime (2002) to Passarim (2018). At City Lit she teaches regular courses in jazz, soul and blues singing.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.