Time: 19:45 - 21:15
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This online course is for those of you with just a little singing experience. Come and learn techniques for healthy singing and explore musicianship skills relevant to singing. Learn a selection of songs in a supportive yet challenging environment.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- a vocal warm up to help you get the most out of your voice
- breathing exercises to help you sing
- songs from folk tradition, pop, jazz and musical theatre
- harmonising with the tutor may be introduced in some songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- feel confident to sing with and without support from accompaniment
- show an understanding of how the voice works at a rudimentary level
- demonstrate improved rhythmic awareness
- have good posture for singing
- display an understanding of efficient and effective breathing
- sing songs and rounds accurately in a group
- show some familiarity with music notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for near-beginners who wish to cover basic aspects of singing. However, you need to be able to hear notes from a piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch. If you are unsure about your ability to do this, contact email@example.com for guidance.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
If you are new to City Lit singing classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Sessions begin with a range of vocal warm ups and most of the following work as a group singing along with the tutor. In these live online classes you will be asked to sing on your own on occasion. Musicianship exercises to develop aural awareness are included alongside songs in a range of styles. You are encouraged to practise daily and will be given work to do between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. All music for the course, and learning resources, will be supplied in the google classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We recommend that you follow Singing level 1 for at least three terms, but you can enjoy these courses as often as you wish before moving to a different level. The songs are different each term and this will help you build up a musical repertoire and grow your confidence.
When you are ready (your tutor can advise you on this) you can move on to Singing level 2 which introduces some solo singing opportunities. If you do not wish to sing solo, please consider trying one of our choirs.
If you need help learning to read music please consider supplementing your singing studies with ‘Musicianship 1: listening and reading, pitch and rhythm’. These musicianship courses are ideally taken in conjunction with a singing / instrumental class and will help you learn much faster.