Singing for beginners
Time: 11:30 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: MF829D
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
A chance to start exploring your voice in a fun, informal setting, to build confidence, develop your musical skills and learn some basic principles of healthy voice use. This is a group class and you will not be expected to sing solo although there may be opportunities for you to sing one of the songs solo if you wish.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Some basic vocal technique, e.g. breathing and posture and vocal warm-ups at an introductory level.
- Several songs in a range of styles
- Singing rhythmically and in tune.
- some basic music notation to support your singing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Sing with more confidence
- Sing several new songs
- Sing with greater awareness of rhythm and intonation
- Have some understanding of healthy voice use.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous experience is needed, but it is helpful if you can sing a note at the same pitch that is played or sung to you by the teacher.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
For this online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet connection.
We use GOOGLE CLASSROOM to share messages, documents, audio and video files and for you to submit
any homework tasks. We use ZOOM (video software) to meet for classes via webcam.
- The class will begin with physical and vocal warm-ups and exercises to promote healthy voice use.
- You will learn songs in a range of styles to develop confidence and musicianship.
- Some basic music notation may be covered, relating to the songs studied.
- The tutor will demonstrate vocal sounds for the class to copy.
- Singing will be mainly as a group, with some singing in smaller groups.
- some practice between sessions is essential – resources will be provided to help you with this.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may find it useful to have a notebook, pen/pencil and a folder for keeping music etc.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Your tutor will advise you about follow-on courses and for more information about the full complement of our singing courses, please our blog on Choosing a singing class.
Heather is a singer teacher. She holds a BTec National Diploma and BMus (Hons 1st class) in singing from The Brit School and The Royal Birmingham Conservatoire respectively. Heather has worked professionally in opera and musical theatre performing roles for English Touring Opera, Swansea City Opera, and at the Buxton Opera festival. She has performed the title role in the musical Jane Eyre (Bridewell Theatre), sung the role of Christine in The Phantom of the Opera (Birmingham Symphony Hall), appeared on BBC 4’s ‘And now the news’ and Channel 4’s ‘Operatunity’. Since 2010 Heather has dedicated herself full-time to teaching singing. She has taught both children and adults from enthusiastic beginners to seasoned professionals in classical, musical theatre and rock and pop styles. Heather has also worked as a music examiner for the Trinity Examination board. Heather has taught at City Lit since 2014 and loves it! She is a passionate and enthusiastic tutor who feels strongly about helping each student achieve their goals and reach their full potential.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.