Singing for fun
Time: 13:30 - 15:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: MF943
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
This online course is for beginners and those with just a little singing experience. Come and learn the basic techniques behind good and healthy singing, explore your musicianship and discover a wide selection of songs in a fun environment. Tutor: Trevor Alexander .
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- a vocal warm up to help you get the most out of your voice
- breathing exercises to help you sing and handle nerves!
- songs from multiple genres such as classical to folk, pop and musical theatre.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- feel confident about singing, with and without support from the piano
- show an understanding of how the voice works at a rudimentary level
- demonstrate improved rhythmic awareness
- use good posture for singing
- display a basic understanding of efficient and effective breathing
- show some familiarity with music notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a complete beginners course but also suitable for near-beginners who wish to cover basic aspects of singing. It is helpful to be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch, but don’t worry if you are unsure that you can do so. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
If you are unsure about your level and if this is the right course for you, please email the music department for more advice - email@example.com.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
For this online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet connection.
We use GOOGLE CLASSROOM to share messages, documents, audio and video files and for you to submit any homework tasks.
We use ZOOM to meet for classes via webcam.
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques:
- tutor explanation and demonstration via webcam
- sheet music, audio files and accompaniments (posted in Google Classroom)
- worksheets (posted in Google Classroom)
- group singing and individual demonstration tasks
Sessions may also include work on aural skills and musicianship as applicable.
To make good progress, you are encouraged to practise daily and may be given
work to do at home.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It's helpful to have a folder to keep your music organised, and a pencil for marking your music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can repeat Singing for fun courses as often as you wish before moving to a different level. The songs are different each term and this will help you build up a good musical repertoire and grow your confidence.
For more information about the full complement of our singing courses, please our blog on Choosing a singing class.
Penelope Jane Homer studied Music at the University of Nottingham (graduated 2003), and was a choral scholar at St Barnabas Cathedral, Nottingham. She enjoys a varied career as a professional chorister and soloist, and choir conductor as well as a teacher. Penelope teaches singing at City Lit, and also teaches at Streatham and Clapham Prep School and privately. She is Musical Director of the Winchmore Singers, an upper-voice choir in north London, as well as Apprentice Musical Director at Enfield Choral Society. She is a regular chorister at St Dominic’s Priory in London, and Administration and Communications Officer for Arts Network Sutton. She is keenly interested in arts education, and has worked at both Akademi South Asian Dance UK and Benslow Music Trust, for Edition Peters in their sales department, and as Training Manager for the the Association of British Choral Directors.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.