Singing online (beginners): taster
Time: 18:30 - 20:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: MF353
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
Discover some of basic techniques behind good and healthy singing, and learn about how singing classes work online in this lively taster session. The group class offer a fun and safe environment in which to start learning to sing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- a basic vocal warm up to help you get the most out of your voice
- physical exercises to encourage a sense of rhythm
- breathing exercises to help you sing
- help with pitching accuracy
- strategies to help with nerves!
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show an increased understanding of how the voice works at a rudimentary level
- demonstrate improved rhythmic awareness, through gentle physical movements
- feel more confident about joining an online singing class.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for complete beginners. It helps to be able to hear notes from the piano and voice and sing them back at the correct pitch but you don’t need to be sure about your ability to do this to take this course.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is an online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet connection to take this class.
We use ZOOM to meet for classes via webcam.
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques:
- tutor explanation and demonstration via webcam
- sheet music, audio files and accompaniments will be provided
- group singing and individual demonstration tasks
- discussion arising from materials and exercises
- we will also cover aural skills and musicianship as applicable.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may find it useful to have a notebook and pencil handy. All other materials for the course will be provided in advance via email.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Your tutor will give you more information about which class is the most suitable for you. For more information about our full complement of singing courses, please read our blog on Choosing a singing class.
If you need further advice, please email the music department – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Håkan studied at Malmö Musikhöfskola, Sweelinck Conservatiorium and Conservatoire de Metz, in Karlsruhe, then at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. He has performed throughhout Europe and is especially appreciated for his intimate musicianship. He has appeared at venues including Royal Albert Hall, Wigmore Hall, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, Sibelius Academy and Aldeburgh, and with the symphony orchestras of the BBC, Jerusalem, Birmingham, Barcelona, Gorthenburg and Malmö. His recordings include Bach's B minor Mass, songs by Finzi, Barber, Schumann and Schubert, Elisabeth Maconchy's opera "The Departure" and Panufnik's "Private Joe." Operatic roles include Aeneas, Don Alfonso, Don Giovanni, Figaro, Macbeth, Marcello, Eugen Onegin and Papageno. Håkan created the roles of Axel in Anna Meredith's "Tarantula in Petrol Blue", Carl in Coleridge-Taylor's "Thelma" and Pascoe in Huw Watkins' "In a Locked Room". Most recently he toured with Kentish Opera, Swansea Opera, Diva Opera and Opera Brava. Håkan teaches at City Lit and at the International Lied Masterclasses at Koninklijk Conservatorium Brussels.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.