Sketchup Pro intensive for beginners
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Sorry, this course is now full
What is the course about?
This course is an introduction to developing 3D design ideas using a computer. The SketchUp Pro software is very user-friendly and allows perspective, axonometric, plans and section drawings. It is ideal for planning interior design projects and proposals, but can also be used for modelling objects and outdoor spaces. The SketchUp Pro software is sufficiently adaptable to be relevant for the home enthusiast and professionals alike.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover various techniques to create different shapes relating to all aspects of interiors. Each session there will be a demonstration of a particular aspect of SketchUp Pro, projected onto a large screen so that all students will have simultaneous access to the information. This is followed by an exercise, allowing for some individual tutorial support. Periodically there will be forum sessions were we will look at each other’s work to discuss different aspects of the programme. Asking questions and commenting is encouraged at all times. Handouts relating to the course content are available. Safe studio practice, including setting up workstations, saving files, the safe use of equipment and clearing away equipment will be part of the session.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create 3D images directly on the computer
- Visualise the model from different view points
- Introduce textures and finishes
- Incorporate simple shadows
- Save the model as an image
- Prepare images for printing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
We will introduce all students to SketchUp Pro, but you will need to come with a basic understanding of computer use and manipulating a computer mouse. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We will work on Apple computers with software Trimble SketchUp Pro. The course consists of discussions and demonstrations and one-to-one personal projects.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
• We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
• You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• If you are using a tablet or mobile device you will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with VF500 City Lit interior design course or a range of short courses in Vectorworks, SketchUp Pro or digital and traditional Design.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Interior Design, Vector Works, SketchUp Pro, Axonometric Drawing, model making, Photoshop and Illustrator to enhance your Interior Design practice.
Nick Williamson studied both Interior Design and 3D Design, subsequently working as an interior designer for hospitality projects including Rank Hotels and as the senior designer for high street retailer W H Smith. He then returned to study – graduating with an MA in Furniture Design - after which he set up as an independent furniture designer/maker making bespoke pieces for both corporate and private clients. He now combines his design work with teaching and is a design tutor and lecturer at several design schools, universities and colleges. A personal interest in CAD software has led to him specialising in Vectorworks, AutoCAD and SketchUp. He enjoys showing students the possibilities of what these programs can achieve and is experienced at teaching at all levels.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.