Spanish 4: revision course
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBS09
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course aims to encourage you to speak more freely in Spanish. It will help you develop your speaking and listening skills whilst reinforcing your confidence.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The various topics covered will lead to discussion and a better understanding of Spain and Spanish speaking countries. These will be negotiated with the tutor according to students' needs at the beginning of the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- initiate and participate in a conversation related to various topics
- express opinions and ideas and give your point of view
- interrupt, check details and ask precise questions when conversing
- analyse and summarise news items and opinions
- talk about contemporary Spanish and Latin-American cultures. It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: conditional, indirect and direct pronouns, hypothetical sentences, subjunctive, subordinate clauses and more complex conjunctions.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable if you have studied Spanish for at least 4 years recently or have completed Spanish 4.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Spanish 5 courses in September. Ask your tutor for advice or contact the Languages Department on 020 7492 2644. Please enrol as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Dr. Óscar Salgado-Suárez teaches Spanish language and cultural courses at Birkbeck, University of London; Imperial College and City Lit. His cultural research interests are 20th and 21st Century Spanish and Latin American visual and literary representations with a focus on storytelling, affects and humour studies in relation to historiography, national identities and power formations.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.