Spanish 5 literatura: relatos cortos
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LS500
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course is an introduction to the works of writers in the Spanish language that have made an impact on the literary scene. You will extend your knowledge of Spanish language, literature and culture through the in-depth study and discussion of short stories.
We will be reading and discussing short stories by Cortázar, García Márquez, Borges, Bioy Casares.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover different aspects of the chosen short stories such as historical and social background, narrative structure, characters, style and language.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Extend your knowledge of the authors and their work
- Place the texts studied in their historical and cultural contexts
- Feel more confident
- Feel confident enough to explore further works of fiction on your own.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for students with an advanced level of Spanish. Students should be able to read literary texts in Spanish as well as lead and participate in discussions in Spanish. They should be interested in listening to, and learning from, the responses of other students on the work discussed.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is an interactive mixture of tutor exposition and class discussion. Each week you are expected to read the texts before the class.
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some stories you will be able to download from Internet and the tutor will provide extra material and documentation. For more information about the stories selected, please contact email@example.com.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Check our Spanish 5 and 6 levels.