Spanish: Al-Andalus: crucible of cultures in medieval Spain
Time: 10:30 - 13:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LSW61
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This course will analyse some key historical and cultural aspects of this fascinating period in the history of Spain.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Intercultural relations among the Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities.
- The legacy of this period in the national identity of the Spanish people today.
- The different interpretations which have been offered of the culture of Muslim Spain.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify key historical events of this period.
- Reflect critically on the complexity of the cultural exchanges that took place among the Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities during this period and on the legacy of al-Andalus in modern Spain.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable if you have an intermediate level of Spanish (if you have completed 3 or 4 years of Spanish).
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work, group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All the materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other Spanish advanced courses. Please call Languages on 020 7492 244 for advice.