Speaking circle for people who stammer
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS217
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
• This course is about providing you with some key skills for speaking more confidently to groups and to give you the opportunity to practise speaking to groups.
• This course will be relevant to people wanting to develop their confidence speaking in a range of situations including presentations, meetings and interviews.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
It will cover the following:
• introductions - what is a Speaking Circle
• standards of support
• guidelines for effective speaking
• guidelines for effective listening
• giving and receiving positive feedback
• opportunities to speak in front of the group.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Be more confident talking in front of groups
2. Be yourself when speaking to a group
3. Have more confidence speaking spontaneously
4. Give an impromptu talk with ease
5. Give and receive positive feedback.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for people who stammer and who've ideally done some kind of speech work. It may be you've done a course at City Lit or a different kind of course. This course can still be relevant to you, regardless of the type of speech work you've completed so far. To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
• Express your opinions and feelings
• Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
• Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a highly practical course. You will learn about giving talks and presentations by direct experience of talking in front of a group in a positive non-judgemental environment. Handouts will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can do a Stage 1 evening course or one of our intensive courses if you haven't attended one previously. Alternatively you can do any of our topic-based workshops or evening classes, such as Public Speaking or Mindfulness for people who stammer.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.