Speaking with Clarity - for People who Clutter
Time: 18:00 - 20:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: XS314
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course is for people who clutter. Some features of cluttering are:
• speaking quickly, often with rapid bursts of speech
• some words being unclear or mis-pronounced
• difficulties in explaining and conveying sequences of information
• difficulties in being understood by the listener
Cluttering can be present as the only communication challenge or alongside stammering. The course aims to help people gain greater awareness of their speech and to develop more effective communication strategies.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• What are effective communication skills?
• Identification of cluttering features
• Video feedback
• Pausing and rate control
• Volume and intonation
• Information sequencing
• Listening and self-monitoring.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of the course you should be able to:
1. describe the key attributes of a good communicator
2. identify your strengths and areas to develop in relation to your own communication skills
3. identify key goals for improving communication and practise these in a range of situations
4. develop your listening skills and self-monitoring abilities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who clutter or for people who stammer who also have features of cluttering in their speech. No previous knowledge is necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A variety of teaching methods will be used including: discussion, working in pairs/small groups, self exploration, demonstration, video feedback and practical exercises/role play. Handouts will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
For those who also stammer, you can do a Stage 1 evening course or one of our intensive courses if you haven't attended one previously. Alternatively, you can do any of our topic-based workshops or evening classes such as Public Speaking,.
Corinne has worked as a speech and language therapist for more than 30 years with adults and children who stammer. She has worked in a range of settings including NHS, Higher Education and Independent Practice. Corinne worked at City Lit early on in her career, returning in 2012 to run evening classes and took up the role of Head of Centre for Speech Therapy in 2019. Corinne is an experienced manager, teacher and trainer. She lectures at City University of London and runs training courses for speech and language therapists in stammering therapy approaches in UK and internationally. She has a keen interest in supporting students and speech and language therapists wishing to develop their skills in working with people who stammer.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.