Speech and language therapy as a career
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS506
Duration: 2 sessions
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
- Increasing your knowledge of the training to become a speech and language therapist and of the job and career structures once qualified as a speech and language therapist.
- Helping you prepare for the interview.
- Giving you the opportunity to meet speech and language therapy clients.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will cover the following topics:
- Training entry requirements when applying to become a speech and language therapist
- Where and how to apply
- Course content
- Meeting clients & video observation
- Professional & clinical skills
- Working in the NHS
- Conditions of service
- The speech & language therapist's role
- Working with other professionals
- The interview procedure.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the role of speech & language therapist and related issues.
- Have identified the next step to take.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge is required. To access this course, you will need to follow spoken and written information in English, contribute to discussions and have an interest in the possibility of training to become a speech and language therapist.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Presentation by tutor
- Discussion in small groups and large group.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may decide to go on to further study or university.
Corinne has worked as a speech and language therapist for more than 30 years with adults and children who stammer. She has worked in a range of settings including NHS, Higher Education and Independent Practice. Corinne worked at City Lit early on in her career, returning in 2012 to run evening classes and took up the role of Head of Centre for Speech Therapy in 2019. Corinne is an experienced manager, teacher and trainer. She lectures at City University of London and runs training courses for speech and language therapists in stammering therapy approaches in UK and internationally. She has a keen interest in supporting students and speech and language therapists wishing to develop their skills in working with people who stammer.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.