Speech and language therapy as a career
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS506
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
- Increasing your knowledge of the training to become a speech and language therapist and of the job and career structures once qualified as a speech and language therapist.
- Helping you prepare for the interview.
- Giving you the opportunity to meet speech and language therapy clients.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will cover the following topics:
- Training entry requirements when applying to become a speech and language therapist
- Where and how to apply
- Course content
- Meeting clients & video observation
- Professional & clinical skills
- Working in the NHS
- Conditions of service
- The speech & language therapist's role
- Working with other professionals
- The interview procedure.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the role of speech & language therapist and related issues.
- Have identified the next step to take.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge is required. To access this course, you will need to follow spoken and written information in English, contribute to discussions and have an interest in the possibility of training to become a speech and language therapist.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Presentation by tutor
- Discussion in small groups and large group.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may decide to go on to further study or university.
Cathinka has worked as a Speech and Language Therapist for over 30 years, both in the NHS and independent practice as well as in adult education. She has spent the recent years of her career specialising exclusively in working with adults who stammer, both in groups and one-to-one. She also has a degree in Psychology and has attended training in a number of therapeutic approaches, such a Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness and Counselling, and integrates these skills into her work with adults who stammer. Cathinka has extensive experience of giving presentations and providing training to large and small audiences and has developed a special interest in the skill of public speaking. She runs regular public speaking courses at City Lit for people who stammer and has recently contributed to a professional text for speech and language therapists on the topic of public speaking for people who stammer.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.