Step into Career Transition
Time: 10:00 - 16:30
Location: KWC - Kean Street Wellbeing Centre
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
This course has now started
Course Code: FAA03
Duration: 6 sessions (over 7 weeks)
What is the course about?
How to get unstuck, get clear on what you want and make your next career move. It’s for those who are looking for a new job (or know you will be soon because of redundancy or choice) and feel it might be time for a change of career. You might be struggling to imagine how to make a big change, especially when the future feels unclear.
What will we cover?
• Practical ways to use where you are at now, be that redundancy, feeling stuck or having a few ideas about what’s next, as a starting point in exploring your career change ideas, in a financially stable and low-risk way.
• Easy-to-apply methods for turning your career ideas (however vague) into action.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Understand the drivers behind your career preferences and choices and have been fully debriefed on the most useful career psychometrics to take. Undertake structured self-reflection exercises and assess your strengths and understand your potential
• Investigate existing opportunities, explore broader possibilities and get matched to some of your top job opportunities.
• Clarify your longer term ambition, investigate your top options and develop a vision of your ideal life and work, which will guide you towards your chosen role and field
• Take practical action to land your next career move, with a crafted CV and cover letter, a networking and job search strategy and email and face-to-face networking transcript.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Introductory - no previous knowledge is required. Classes should appeal to those who are motivated to explore their next career move.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your English and Maths skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
It is an experiential course that includes input on theory and group discussion. There will be individual, partner, small and whole group work. You will be required to carry out some homework.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs. You may wish to bring note taking materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may want to try our freelancing course or other courses from the wide variety we have at City Lit. Please see website for details.
Martin is a Certified Career Transition Coach & Recruiter delivering practical careers advice on career transition and retirement, as well as work issues and stress. Qualified in psychometric testing and career coaching, and a former Career Consultant to a Russell Group university, he has helped 1000s of people with their career. A former HR Partner and criminal law barrister.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.