Submitting your poetry to magazines
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HW124
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This course is an opportunity for students to learn the most effective way to submit their work to poetry magazines with guidance from an experienced poetry editor. Students will learn how to write an engaging cover letter, select the best pieces to send and how to avoid common pitfalls.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Preparing a cover letter
- Selecting pieces of writing to send
- Opportunities and pitfalls during the submissions process.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop your understanding of what poetry editors are looking for.
- Put together a submission package for a poetry magazine, journal or website.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course will be of most benefit to students who have a range of poems to choose from for submission.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be taught through a mix of tutor instruction, pair work, text analysis and short writing activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring between 8 and 10 poems that you have written and would like to submit to poetry magazines.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of professional development courses for poets including How to create your first poetry collection and getting your poetry published.