T'ai Chi beginners
Time: 16:00 - 17:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FSA65
Duration: 10 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn sequences of movement based on the Yang-style T'ai Chi form and Qi Gong, exercises that will improve
balance, breathing, movement and body use. They can also help to both focus and calm the mind.
Please note that there will be no class sessions on 24 and 31 October 2022.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Warm-up exercises, Qi Gong, Tai Chi movement and practical use, Tai Chi walking exercises and some martial applications.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform movement sequences from Qi Gond and T'ai Chi Yang-style including Tai Chi walking exercises.
- Demonstrate improved co-ordination and balance
- Perform warm-up exercises with clarity and understanding
- Experience a more relaxed state of mind and body
- Apply T'ai Chi principles and practice to daily life.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for complete beginners. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical
movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-EXERCISE CHECK LIST BELOW:
To assist us in providing a safe and healthy environment for you to exercise in please take a moment to consider
the list below. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical
practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from
your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise
or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through demonstration of the specific movements and active participation within a class
The course tutor will give instruction during the class to enhance and develop your practice. Handouts will also
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose comfortable clothing. Certain books and videos will be recommended.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue to explore and study the art with Tai Chi Beginners course, explore Qi Gong or one of the many Health
and Movement courses available at City Lit.
Kamal has been teaching the Alexander Technique for nearly 20 years. He used to suffer from persistent low back pain for many years and found the Alexander Technique the only way to obtain long-term relief. The personal benefit and growing interest in the Technique led him to train to teach it. He is a partner and teacher at the City Alexander Technique teacher training school in Old Street. He also runs a private teaching practice and has experience working with groups at the City Lit and South Thames College. He has been a Council member and Chair of STAT (Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique) and served on several STAT committees. He is presently a trustee of two charities connected to the Alexander Technique, The FM Alexander Trust and Friends of the Alexander Technique. Kamal comes from a background in engineering and business is a director of HITE Limited, which runs courses on the Alexander Technqiue. HITE has published 8 books on the Technique. Kamal is also a qualified Yang Style Tai Chi teacher and is featured in a Tai Chi DVD published by HITE.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.