T'ai Chi Chuan: beginners
Time: 16:15 - 17:15
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Sorry, this date is now full
What is the course about?
Learn sequences of movement based on the Yang-style T'ai Chi form and Chi Kung, exercises that will improve balance, breathing, movement and body use. They can also help to both focus and calm the mind.
What will we cover?
Warm-up exercises, Tai Chi movement and practical use, Tai Chi walking exercises and some Chi Kung.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Clearly perform movement sequences from T'ai Chi Yang-style including Tai Chi walking exercises.
- Demonstrate improved co-ordination and balance
- Perform warm-up exercises with clarity and understanding
- Experience a more relaxed state of mind and body
- Apply T'ai chi principles and practice to daily life.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for complete beginners. You will need to be able to follow verbal
instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-EXERCISE CHECK LIST BELOW:
To assist us in providing a safe and healthy environment for you to exercise in please take a moment to consider
the list below. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor.
If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through demonstration of the specific movements and active participation within a class setting.
The course tutor will give instruction during the class to enhance and develop your practice. Handouts will also be
given out in some of the classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose comfortable clothing. Certain books and videos will be recommended.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue to explore and study the art with Tai Chi Beginners course, explore Chi Kung or one of the many Health and Movement courses available at City Lit.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to
Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.