Text for textiles
Time: 10:30 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO187
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this course you will learn different ways of representing text in textiles. Two weeks will be spent focusing on learning and practising suitable hand stitches for creating linear text and two weeks on using appliqué for creating block text. You will be shown different ways of transferring your text onto textile and will be introduced to different textile artist’s that use text in their practice. Once you have leant the techniques you can apply them to all sorts of different projects, either fine art related or personalising textile products.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: How to transfer hand written text onto fabric and stitch using back and stem stitch.
Session 2: Look at PP of different textile artists that use text. Stitch text using running stitch on transparent fabric.
Session 3 & 4: How to design and create block text using applique, bond-a-web and hand stitch.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Complete at least three samples using the above techniques.
- Decribe different ways textile artists incorporate text in their work.
- Recognise a variety of hand stitches.
- Apply learnt stitches to text in your own projects, deciding which techniques to use when.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for complete beginners or those who have some experience of hand stitch.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learners will be expected to join and participate in activities posted on the shared Google Classroom. Full details of this will be provided in advance and a reminder email sent out before the course starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Thread (this could be stranded embroidery cotton and/or perle)
- Needles suitable for hand embroidery (make sure you have different sized eyes so you can accommodate different thicknesses of thread).
- Different coloured medium weight woven cotton fabric (avoid fabric with stretch).
- Transparent fabric such as organdie or organza.
- An embroidery hoop.
- Fabric pen.
- Embroidery scissors
- A4 paper and pencil
- You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window. Please amend and delete as suitable
- We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
- You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
- Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
- If you are using a tablet or mobile device you will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a wide range of textile courses for beginners, advanced learners and professional practitioners.Please browse the website for our upcoming courses.
Lara Hailey is a textile artist and educator. Lara studied at Goldsmiths college and has taught at a number of London colleges, galleries and museums. She has exhibited her work throughout the UK and been involved in curating and facilitating community art projects.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.