The City Lit 7-day intensive course for adults who stammer
Time: 09:30 - 17:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: XS104
Please choose a course date
Duration: 7 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
Stammering, also known as stuttering, is not just about the physical aspects (such as repeating sounds or words, blocking on a word or stretching out a sound). It’s also about how you think and feel about stammering and the impact stammering has on your everyday life. On this course you’ll learn more about your particular pattern of stammering, how to manage negative thoughts and feelings more easily (this will include some work on cognitive therapy), and ways to reduce the things you might do to avoid stammering, such as changing words or saying less than you want to. We’ll also teach you tried and tested ways to reduce the physical tension in your speech so that you can speak more easily. In addition you will be introduced to mindfulness and learn how it can support your work on stammering.
What will we cover?
The course will cover:
- Identification of the overt (physical stammering behaviours) and covert (hidden thoughts and feelings about
stammering) aspects of stammering.
- Becoming less sensitive about stammering; this includes exploring difficult thoughts and feelings about stammering and learning how to manage them more easily as well as gradually reducing some of the things you do to avoid stammering
- Speech work: this is aimed at helping you change your stammering towards an easier, more fluent pattern of
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Identify at least 3 overt (physical stammering behaviours) and 3 covert (hidden thoughts and feelings about
stammering) aspects of stammering.
2. Reduce at least 2 avoidance behaviours within the group
3. Reduce at least 2 avoidance behaviours outside of the group
4. Speak in a previously identified challenging situation outside of the group
5. Reduce your stammering behaviour within the group.
6. Reduce your stammering behaviour outside of the group in a number of situations.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who stammer and who may or may not have had any previous speech therapy. To access
this course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need an advisory session (free of charge) with one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There is a large component of practical work. Visual aids including video and handouts are used. Work will be
undertaken both in the whole group and smaller sub-groups using a wide variety of communication activities. You
are encouraged to extend therapy into working on your speech outside and to take an increasing level of
responsibility for your learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other real costs although you are asked to bring a notebook to sessions. We recommend you read
the book Self-therapy for the stutterer by Malcolm Fraser alongside the course which can be downloaded free of charge from the Stuttering Foundation website: http://www.stutteringhelp.org.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to maintain and build on the changes you have already made, we strongly recommend you have some follow-up therapy. We offer a range of Stage 2 courses, designed specifically for people who have already had some therapy. These take place either in the evening or during the day and can either be straight revision such as our two-day Refresher workshop or can be topic-based. Examples of topics include interview skills, stress management and mindfulness.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.