Thinking through drawing: National Gallery
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: OS - Off Site
Course Code: VM080
Please choose a course date
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
A two-day introduction to drawing in a sketchbook, in different areas of the National Gallery. This short course provides an opportunity to get started with a sketchbook: you will draw directly from a variety of paintings, and be shown different methods of working with different types of pencil, using both light and shadow, and some colour.
- Meeting place in session 1 will be outside the entrance to National Gallery. There is more than one entrance so please meet at the entrance to the RIGHT of the steps on Trafalgar Square: the door is at the right side of the building (near to the entrance to the National Café which is on the corner of Charing Cross Road, just before the entrance to the National Portrait Gallery). You will then be given a plan by the tutor, to confirm the location of the next session in the Gallery.
What will we cover?
Drawing from a variety of paintings, from different eras and painted in different styles, gives you the chance to explore some of the effects that can be achieved in drawing with pencils: such as use of light/shadow to create volume, and types of mark-making. You will also have a brief introduction to colour.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw simple shapes with confidence
- Investigate three methods of drawing
- Achieve confidence to start using a sketchbook
- Start to draw directly from observation of paintings.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for you if you are a beginner or:
- You want to learn more about how to draw
- You have not used a sketchbook before
- You need more confidence drawing different things
- You’d like to explore different ways of sketchbook drawing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will receive individual guidance with some demonstration and group discussion, to enable you to develop your practical work in the sketchbook throughout the course. You will be encouraged to do some work in the sketchbook between the class sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring an A5 or A4 size sketchbook. Pencils for drawing will be provided. Guidance on materials will be given if you wish to buy your own equipment after the first session.
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencil to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing email@example.com with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation. The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More information can be found here- https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/student-discounts/.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs a range of drawing courses; such as Drawing 1 and Drawing 2, your tutor will discuss options for progression with you during this course.