Tone and stretch
Time: 10:30 - 11:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FJK18
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
Aimed at those seeking to develop an awareness of physical and mental well-being through movement and activity, this course provides safe and effective exercises at a suitable level for participants. Develop cardiovascular fitness and flexibility, improve mobility, muscular strength and endurance.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Each class will include a warm up to mobilise joints and prepare the body. An aerobic section will improve cardiovascular conditioning, while other exercises are designed to improve posture, strength, endurance and balance - you'll have the option of lying on a mat or performing the exercises whilst sitting on a chair. The class usually finishes with stretching and relaxation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise the importance of warming up, mobility and stamina
- Perform various co-ordinated moves
- Learn and practise particular stretches to develop flexibility
- Maintain better posture
- Maintain and improve joint mobility and flexibility
- Modify exercises to suit your own level.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge or experience is required, and all levels and abilities are welcome. You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstrations and explanation by the tutor
- Practical work to music
- Working in pairs and groups as well as on your own.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear comfortable clothing and supportive, soft-soled footwear, and bring a drink of water.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress to other suitable exercise classes within the Health and Wellbeing department at City Lit.