Try it out: beading
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VV117
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This short course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make personal pieces of beaded jewellery. You will learn how to make a range of beaded items such as bracelets, earrings and necklaces.
You will use beginners stringing, knotting and wire work techniques whilst looking at beaded jewellery design and patterns.
What will we cover?
- Which tools and beads to use for beaded jewellery making
- How to make a knotted bead bracelet/necklace and earrings using silk thread.
- How to use wire to string beads in interesting patterns and colour.
- Which findings to use and how to attach them to create personal items of Beaded Jewellery.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Confidently design and make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- Use silk thread and learn the key knotting techniques used in Beaded Jewellery.
- Construct knotted earrings, bracelets and necklaces
- String beads onto wire, make or choose appropriate findings for each design and create interesting patterns.
- Build on your beaded jewellery techniques, whatever level you are.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels welcome, from complete beginners to accomplished jewellers wishing to try out a new medium.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be taught face to face and using Google Classroom in two evening sessions. You will have demonstrations from the tutor and share skills within the group. You will receive feedback from the tutor take part in Q & A and group chats. You will be encouraged to share what you have made via Google classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some materials are provided but you may want to bring any personal beads and tools.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current offer online for complemtary courses.
Beverley has an academic training in Fine Art and Textiles and for a while set up a design business in Knitted Garments. Whilst studying for an MA in Textiles, Beverley started using traditional Bead Weaving, Embroidery and Quilting techniques to create painted and stitched pieces. This led to creating accredited and personal interest short courses in Beaded Jewellery, Fashion and Textiles. Beverley continues to use constructive Textile techniques within her teaching practise. She is actively involved in her community and works closely with local charities to explore how Art and Craft increases Well Being. She is a member of Hastings Arts Forum where she curates Textile shows and exhibits.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.