Try it out: knotting and stringing for beads and pearls
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VV503
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This online course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make original pieces of beaded
jewellery. You will use beginners macramé, stringing and knotting techniques, look at beaded jewellery designs
and patterns and learn about bead wiring techniques.
What will we cover?
- Bead knotting and stringing techniques will be demonstrated showing which beads and findings to use.
- You will discuss colour and bead jewellery design principles
- You will learn about which tools and materials to use, such as wire and threads
- How to finish off samples and finished pieces using metal findings
- Small projects such as bracelets, necklaces and earing’s will be demonstrated
- Discuss how to work independently after the course end.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Confidently design and make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- Buy beaded jewellery materials and tools online for your own projects and commissions
- Construct earrings, bracelets and necklaces according to your own style
- Make or choose appropriate findings for each design
- Use crimp beads and crimp tools.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for all abilities.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations and hand-outs.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- This course will be taught online using Zoom and Google Classroom through weekly live sessions and video demonstrations.
- 1:1 tuition
- Feedback, Q & A and group chats using Google classroom and Zoom sessions
- You will have the opportunity to engage with your online learning community and tutor on both platforms
- Online resource, inspiration and task handouts will be available to download in each session
• A computer or laptop with a fully updated google chrome browser works best for live sessions. Alternatively, you can use a tablet or phone for zoom sessions but your device will need a microphone and a camera. Using headphones with microphones is advisable as these block out all room noise in live online sessions
- You will need to login into our Google classroom before our sessions start for instructions and for a list of materials.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will require a good broadband connection, a comfortable chair and a desk with good lighting. You will also need basic beading materials such as pliers, wire, beads, silk thread and cotton thread – guidance will be given on Google Classroom and emailed to you in advance.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current online offer for complementary courses.
Beverley has an academic training in Fine Art and Textiles and for a while set up a design business in Knitted Garments. Whilst studying for an MA in Textiles, Beverley started using traditional Bead Weaving, Embroidery and Quilting techniques to create painted and stitched pieces. This led to creating accredited and personal interest short courses in Beaded Jewellery, Fashion and Textiles. Beverley continues to use constructive Textile techniques within her teaching practise. She is actively involved in her community and works closely with local charities to explore how Art and Craft increases Well Being. She is a member of Hastings Arts Forum where she curates Textile shows and exhibits.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.