Watercolour painting studio: nature and colour
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VM901
Choose a start date
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn to experiment with different drawing/painting materials to render nature in colour using oil and soft pastels, gouache and watercolour. Following an introduction to colour theory, you will be encouraged to make quick sketches which can then be developed into more sustained and multilayered textured images.
What will we cover?
• The use of different textured drawing papers and prepared textured surfaces for drawing /painting.
• The researching of natural objects - one session during the course will be offsite to a museum or a park
• How to explore and experiment with different mark making and create textures with pastels, gouache, inks and watercolour.
• Introduction to colour mixing in different mediums.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use drawing/ painting materials more confidently.
• Develop images from nature to create sustained /quick sketches in a given time frame
• Have a knowledge of different papers for drawing/painting and know how to prepare different surfaces for image making
• Understanding the potential of mark making and colour mixing with pastels, inks, gouache and watercolour in relation to natural objects.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels - for beginners and improvers - No experience is necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Explanation and demonstration. An off-site sketching visit. Images of artists’ work where referenced as examples. Practical work. One-to-one discussion. Informal group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a sketchbook, A4 or A3 for the off-site visit. All other basic materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue to develop your work in watercolour by enrolling on the courses below:
Watercolour: cityscapes on location
Watercolour: cityscapes themes and ideas
Watercolour: developing your skills
Watercolour: intermediate and advanced
Watercolour: life painting for beginners
Watercolour: life painting themes and ideas.
Chris has taught at City Lit for over 25 years and is a former co-ordinator of the CityLit Fine Art Course , stepping down to concentrate on his painting practice and to teach more on the short course programme. He studied painting at Central St Martins and the Royal College of Art and has post graduate qualifications in art history and a teaching qualification from the Institute of Education and from University of Surrey. He has understaken fellowships, residencies and travelling scholarships in Chicago, Paris, Moscow Region and West of England and has an established art practice which encompasses, drawing, painting, projection and small scale model, making. Instagram c.hough89
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.