Watercolour painting studio: nature and colour
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VH011
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn to experiment with different drawing/painting materials to render nature in colour using oil and soft pastels, gouache and watercolour. Following an introduction to colour theory, you will be encouraged to make quick sketches which can then be developed into more sustained and multilayered textured images.
What will we cover?
• The use of different textured drawing papers and prepared textured surfaces for drawing /painting.
• The researching of natural objects - one session during the course will be offsite to a museum or a park
• How to explore and experiment with different mark making and create textures with pastels, gouache, inks and watercolour.
• Introduction to colour mixing in different mediums.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use drawing/ painting materials more confidently.
• Develop images from nature to create sustained /quick sketches in a given time frame
• Have a knowledge of different papers for drawing/painting and know how to prepare different surfaces for image making
• Understanding the potential of mark making and colour mixing with pastels, inks, gouache and watercolour in relation to natural objects.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels - for beginners and improvers - No experience is necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Explanation and demonstration. An off-site sketching visit. Images of artists’ work where referenced as examples. Practical work. One-to-one discussion. Informal group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a sketchbook, A4 or A3 for the off-site visit. All other basic materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue to develop your work in watercolour by enrolling on the courses below:
Watercolour: cityscapes on location
Watercolour: cityscapes themes and ideas
Watercolour: developing your skills
Watercolour: intermediate and advanced
Watercolour: life painting for beginners
Watercolour: life painting themes and ideas.
Hilary Rosen is a born and bred artist both working and teaching in London. She graduated from Nottingham where she received her BA Hons in Fine followed by three years at the RCA where she achieved an MA from the RCA at the Painting School . Hilary has been painting and printmaking ever since and is based in a studio in Bethnal Green. Her work has regulary been exhibited in a gallery in Hamburg over the past 30 years, alongisde other exhibitions and shows both internationally and nationally including India, Australia, Ireland, Scotland and various locations in England. Her continuing practice has been complimented alongside her teaching, of which has taken place at City lit and other institutions as a visiting lecturer including UEL, Nottingham Trent and Middlesex University. Hilary's main teaching involvement at City lit is within the water colour courses but also teaches within other drawing and painting provisions. To see examples of both Hilary's work and her upcoming shows please visit Hilaryrosen.co.uk.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.