Web development: HTML5 & CSS stage 1
Time: 10:30 - 13:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CWDS01
Duration: 4 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will teach you how to use HTML5 and CSS to create simple web pages.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Introduction to HTML5 and the structure of Uniform Resource Locators
• Recognising the structure of a web page
• Meta tags and search engines
• Using Hyperlinks in your webpages
• Inserting images into webpages
• Creating lists and tables
• Validating webpages
• Using CSS to style and format a webpage.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise the concept behind HTML and the structure of URLs
• Create HTML5 documents and define Meta tags
• Create simple web pages incorporating text and images
• Apply Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to format your web pages
• Create tables using the new HTML5 elements and attributes
• Know how hyperlinks work
• Identifying the process of validating web pages and fixing problems.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at beginners to HTML5 & CSS. You should have knowledge of:
• Basic file management (opening, saving, copying and moving files on a computer)
• Using the World Wide Web (www)
• Using a simple Word Processor or text editor
You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions and add, subtract, multiply and divide.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Step by step instruction/ demonstration and hands on exercises to practice HTML code and CSS syntax which will help you grasp all concepts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no extra costs. A pen and paper to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Web design:HTML5&CSS stage 2, HTML5 & CSS:intermediate (stage 2), Build a website in a day with WordPress.
George graduated with a degree in Art,Design and Media and soon after became interested in the burgeoning web design industry. He started learning HTML and associated web design skills and later worked for design agencies and as a freelance designer on a variety of projects ranging from large corporations to small businesses. After dipping his toe into the teaching pool, George found he really enjoyed sharing his skills with others and helping them to achieve their goals and has been teaching for Visual Arts at City Lit since 2012. The thing he enjoys most about teaching at City Lit is the wide range of interesting people he meets at work.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.