Web development: HTML5 & CSS stage 2
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: Hybrid (choose either online or in-person)
will learn how to position content using the new HTML5 Semantic Elements. You will need to have completed
'HTML5 & CSS: stage 1' or have a working knowledge of HTML.
This course will be delivered online or in person. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CWDS02
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course follows on from the very popular Web development: HTML5 & CSS stage 1 course. In this course you will learn how to plan and design the layout of your website and design web forms using the new HTML5 elements.
You can choose to attend this course either live online or in person.
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Controlling page layout with CSS
• Elements with meaning: learn about the new Semantic Elements in HTML5
• More on styles: the ID and the Class selectors
• Embed Web Fonts into your webpages
• Embed external resources into your Web documents
• Design web forms using the new HTML5 input types, form elements and attributes
• Creating an example site
• Publish your website through a web server.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Give your pages a consistent look and feel
• Use a range of style settings for formatting
• Set positioning and layout with CSS
• Use the new HTML5 Semantic Elements to define different parts of a web page
• Use Google Web Fonts in your web pages
• Display External content within your webpage using the iframe element
• Design HTML5 forms using the most common input types
• Upload and test your website on a webserver.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Needs basic knowledge of HTML/CSS or previous study of HTML5 & CSS: stage 1 course or have equivalent knowledge.If you have not attended the HTML5 & CSS stage 1 course, please check the course outline to see that you are familiar with what was covered. You will also need good computing and file management knowledge.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Step by step instruction / demonstration and hands - on exercises to practice HTML5 code. Each student has
access to a computer for practical work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Just pen and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our web development courses or click here to view our Digital Marketing and Social media courses.
Disclaimer: Use of Third-Party Software
This course might require you to either use your own personal account or create an account for the purposes of this course. City Lit cannot accept any responsibility for any failings of the third party or provide technical support. Whilst using the software you will be responsible for abiding by the providers terms and conditions and maintaining your own work.
George graduated with a degree in Art,Design and Media and soon after became interested in the burgeoning web design industry. He started learning HTML and associated web design skills and later worked for design agencies and as a freelance designer on a variety of projects ranging from large corporations to small businesses. After dipping his toe into the teaching pool, George found he really enjoyed sharing his skills with others and helping them to achieve their goals and has been teaching for Visual Arts at City Lit since 2012. The thing he enjoys most about teaching at City Lit is the wide range of interesting people he meets at work.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.