Word 2016 for the workplace (intermediate)
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CWP14
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create well-presented detailed Word documents. We will focus on how to create and write documents such as letters, forms and reports so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers commands like auto date, time, page numbering and other layout features. We will look at how to use Styles, indentation and mail merge to produce that professional looking document. We will focus on how to create customised and detailed tables using advanced tables commands. We will practise inserting and altering images and wrapping text around images and tables. Finally, we will practise printing documents so that they maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as reports
• formatting, arranging text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• using Styles, indentations and mail merge
• creating customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• inserting and altering images
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• printing documents to maintain complex formatting
• managing your files effectively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents for the workplace such a detailed letters and medium length reports
• format and arrange text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• use Styles, indentations and mail merge
• create customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• insert and alter images
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• print documents to maintain complex formatting
• manage your files effectively2016.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Word and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use Word in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course. You should bring a pen to take your own notes and a USB Flash Drive. It is possible to sit an ECDL Word Level 2 exam at the end of this course but you will need to pay for the BCS registration, the test and a proportion of the cost for an invigilator. To check if you are ready to take the exam an online sample test is also available at a small cost Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested in taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Word 206 for the workplace (Advanced)
• Excel 2016 for the workplace (intermediate)
• Access 2016: essentials
•Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (intermediate)
•Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (advanced)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: managing your emails, tasks and priorities (intermediate)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: integrating Outlook, Excel and Word (advanced)
•How to be an administrator: the essentials
•How to be an administrator: time management skills
•How to be an administrator: the paperless office
•Office 365: an introduction
• ECDL Level 2 or Level 3 (Assessment needed)
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. Call 0207 492 2511 to make an appointment.