Working with adults who stammer
Time: 09:30 - 17:30
This course runs for three days (27-29 October), plus a follow-up day on May 11.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS502A
Duration: 4 sessions (over 29 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course is for qualified speech and language therapists developing their knowledge and skills for working
with adults who stammer.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Stammering modification therapy
- Avoidance reduction therapy
- Interiorised stammering
- Assessment and selection
- Experiential workshop - skills practice with clients
- Other approaches
- Acquired stammering
- Brief introduction to mindfulness.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Describe the stages of stammering modification therapy
2. Identify levels of avoidance
3. Identify other therapy approaches for adults who stammer
4. Identify a relevant approach for interiorised stammering
5. Put into practice teaching stammering modification.
6. List ways to identify cluttering and ways to work with people who clutter
7. Identify different types of acquired stammering and possible therapy approaches.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for qualified speech and language therapists. To access the course you will need to be able to understand and express yourself in English and relate the topics being taught to your own experience and practice. You will also need to be able to give and receive feedback.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is a combination of tutorial input, small and large group discussion and experiential learning. Videos
and handouts are used.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may like to attend any of our other professional training courses which include 'Effective counselling skills for speech and language therapists' and 'Mindfulness meditation for speech and language therapists.' We encourage students to continue their on-going professional development through membership of the Clinical Excellence Network: Disorders of Fluency.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.