Writing environmental features
Time: 10:30 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HW586
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
On this course, we will look at how writing can inspire us to think about climate change, nature and living sustainably in new ways. We will analyse how these topics are written about in the media and write short pieces, looking at what makes a strong story. You won't need any specialist knowledge. The focus will be storytelling – and the role it can play in our future.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Where to get ideas for environmental writing
- How to develop your ideas into a story.
- The way writers cover key topics.
- Research and case studies.
- Pitching your work for publication.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Differentiate between outlets and their audiences
- Turn an idea into a story
- Research your story by finding case studies and experts
- Use literary techniques to enliven your writing
- Pitch an article or blog post for publication.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No formal requirements except a good standard of literacy and a love of reading.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Analysis of short pieces in class through group discussion.
- Regular individual short writing exercises largely set as homework but discussed and evaluated in class.
- Formal instruction from the teacher combined with group discussion.
All writing courses at City Lit will involve an element of workshop. This means that students will produce work which will be discussed in an open and constructive environment with the tutor and other students. The college operates a policy of constructive criticism, and all feedback on another student’s work by the tutor and other students should be delivered in that spirit.
For classes longer than one day regular reading and writing exercises will be set for completion at home to set deadlines.
City Lit Writing endeavours to create a safe and welcoming space for all and we strongly support the use of content notes in our classes. This means that learners are encouraged to make their tutor and classmates aware in advance if any writing they wish to share contains material that may be deemed sensitive. If you are unsure about what might constitute sensitive content, please ask your tutor for further clarification and read our expectations for participating in writing courses at City Lit.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a range of non-fiction creative writing courses, including Autobiographical writing and Biography writing.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.
Laura Silverman is Features Editor of Country Living. She has also worked at Cosmopolitan, The Sunday Telegraph and the Daily Mail, editing and writing features for print and online. Her work ranges from profile interviews to pieces on food trends. She read Philosophy & Theology at Oxford University and has a PGDip in Magazine Journalism from City University.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.