Time: 11:45 - 12:45
Location: Keeley Street
What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to yoga practice. Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture, stamina and flexibility, enhances our quality of breathing and teaches relaxation techniques which help reduce stress in our daily life. Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Arrive feeling tired and achy; leave refreshed, relaxed and energised.
This is an in-person only course.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including twists, forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
- Relaxation and visualisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic yoga postures and breathing exercises with guidance
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the tutor's instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind
- Practice some simple breathing exercise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners, regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
It is inadvisable for students suffering from certain medical conditions to attend an ordinary yoga class. This does not mean that they should not do yoga, but they may need individual attention or a special programme of asanas (postures). These conditions include hypertension (high blood pressure); conditions associated with heart disease, cancer or benign tumours; epilepsy including petit mal; diabetes; Meniere's disease; detached retina; MS (Multiple Sclerosis); ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis); recent post-operative conditions; new students who are pregnant. Advice can be sought from the Health and Wellbeing Department Office for those who have concerns about the suitability of the class for them.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Follow me
- Verbal instruction
- Mini lectures
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All yoga props including mats are provided. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Repeat the same course or try another yoga beginners course from our programme. Some students might be able to progress to a mixed levels course.
Biljana was originally trained in the Yoga Body of Light style of Hatha Yoga (www.aurolabyoga.net) in the UK and India, and has been teaching it since 2008. Apart from her main teacher, Sama Fabian, Biljana has been studying and drawing inspiration from a number of prominent teachers from differring Yoga styles and lineages. Biljana offers her students a positive and joyful experience, allowing Yoga to work for each individual. Apart from City Lit, she has taught a wide range of students with mixed skills, abilities and specific needs and within different settings, such as charities, gyms, mental health centres and corporate organisations, as well as her private classes. As a Counsellor, Biljana has always been interested in body-mind connection and the therapeutic aspects of Yoga.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.