Yoga beginners with Renate - Online
Time: 12:00 - 13:30
This course will be Online. To book the in-person course, please use course code FGY55.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FGY55O
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
Enjoy yoga postures at beginners’ level. We start with a few minutes calming the body, breath and mind, followed by warm up movements and basic yoga poses to move your spine in all directions possible to rejuvenate your body. We finish with breath awareness and a guided relaxation. Suitable for all.
This course will be online. To book as an in-person participant, please use course code FGY55.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures
- Forward and back bends
- Spinal twist and side stretch
- A balance pose
- Alignment of the spine and whole body in postures
- Breath awareness
- Guided relaxation with visualization
- Concentration and mindfulness throughout the practice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform yoga postures with guidance
- Practise a gentle forward and a back bend
- Practise a gentle spinal twist and a side bend
- Demonstrate basic alignment in yoga postures
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge or experience of yoga is needed. Complete beginners are very welcome.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Verbal instructions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
A termly Yoga Beginners course.
Renate worked as a nurse before training to become and qualified Iyengar Yoga teacher in the early 1990s. Later she gained a Yoga therapy qualification to connect her nursing background with teaching Yoga, and holds British Wheel of Yoga teacher status. She has been teaching for all those years in South East London and since 1989 at the City Lit, and has previously run Yoga weekends and yoga holidays abroad. As a teacher, Renate focuses on correct alignment in the yoga postures, using a variety of equipment; breath work is often included and each class finishes with a guided relaxation. Renate enjoys Dances of Universal Peace where she learned many chants from different spiritual traditions.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.