Time: 11:45 - 12:45
Location: Keeley Street
This course has now started
Course Code: FGD09
Duration: 11 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to yoga practice. Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture, stamina and flexibility, enhances our quality of breathing and teaches relaxation techniques which help reduce stress in our daily life. Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Arrive feeling tired and achy; leave refreshed, relaxed and energised.
In addition to the teaching, your tutor will provide a wealth of material on Google Classroom, including the handouts and videos, so that you can practice in between the classes and refer to after the course finishes.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Twisting poses
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
- Relaxation and visualisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic yoga postures with guidance
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the tutor's instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind
- Practice some simple breathing exercise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners, regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. (if necessary). If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Are you pregnant?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Follow me
- Verbal instruction
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs. All equipment including yoga mats are provided, but you may bring your own if you wish. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can continue with yoga beginners courses next term. You tutor will advise if you are ready to progress to a mixed levels course.
You can also enrol onto any other movement course from our programme.
Biljana was originally trained in the Yoga Body of Light style of Hatha Yoga (www.aurolabyoga.net) in the UK and India, and has been teaching it since 2008. Apart from her main teacher, Sama Fabian, Biljana has been studying and drawing inspiration from a number of prominent teachers from differring Yoga styles and lineages. Biljana offers her students a positive and joyful experience, allowing Yoga to work for each individual. Apart from City Lit, she has taught a wide range of students with mixed skills, abilities and specific needs and within different settings, such as charities, gyms, mental health centres and corporate organisations, as well as her private classes. As a Counsellor, Biljana has always been interested in body-mind connection and the therapeutic aspects of Yoga.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.