Time: 08:00 - 09:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This course will introduce you to basic yoga postures, breathing practices, relaxation and concentration exercises. Over the duration of the course we will be working in a progressive manner, establishing an integrated yoga practice.
Please ring 020 7492 2622 or email Health@citylit.ac.uk if you have any questions about the course.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Pranayama (breath work)
- Guided relaxation
- Concentration and mindfulness exercises.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic yoga postures with guidance
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the tutor's instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Demonstrate a breathing exercise
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners or those who wish to work at a gentle pace.
It is inadvisable for students suffering from certain medical conditions to attend an ordinary yoga class. This does not mean that they should not do yoga, but they may need individual attention or a special programme of asanas (postures). These conditions include: Hypertension (high blood pressure); conditions associated with heart disease, cancer or benign tumours; epilepsy including petit mal; diabetes; Menieres disease; detached retina; MS (Multiple Sclerosis); ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis); recent post-operative conditions; new students who are pregnant. Advice can be sought from the Department Office for those who have concerns about the suitability of the class for them.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Verbal instructions
- Physical adjustments (optional)
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
Regular attendance and commitment to the full duration of each class is important. Late arrivals to class will result in your fellow learners being disturbed during the initial concentration practice.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Progression to a mixed levels course at City Lit
- Yoga holidays or weekends
- After 3 years of regular practice and class attendance, progression to a recognised Yoga Teacher Training course.
Carolina Sanchez M Yoga teacher-Massage therapist (Holistic Massage/Deep tissue) Carolina has BA in Dance, is a certified Yoga Teacher and Massage therapist. Has trained in somatic movement disciplines -among them Feldenkrais and Eutonia (both disciplines that teach how to observe movement and the comprehension of the human being). Also has trained in martial arts (Kalaripayattu/Indian martial art/ and Kung-Fu), Circus, physical theatre, acrobatics, and puppet and object theatre, among others. In 2001, Carolina was introduced to Ashtanga Yoga as part of her dance training. In 2009 she moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina, where she started to teach Yoga consistently, working with private clients and Gyms. Two years later moved to London. Since then she has been working with a diverse clientele from VIP clients in 5 stars hotels, charities, gyms, women's centres, to drug and alcohol services. The diverse experience has given her the insight to understand that every person has something particular and fascinating to work with. Carolina's Yoga classes focus on body mechanics, mobility, posture foundations and the intrinsic relation between hips and spine.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.