Yoga in French
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LFY01
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
In this Yoga in French course, you will be learning to connect with your body, combining breath with movement and finding balance within ourselves.
Basic French vocabulary of the parts of the body and actions as well as concepts that form part of yoga practice will be introduced in French for you to be able to follow this yoga session in French- whether you are new to French or already have some knowledge of the language.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
French vocabulary of the parts of the body and actions used for this session as well as concepts that form part of yoga practice; breath, meditation, movement, loosening up and connecting to all parts of our body through simple but powerful exercises.
PLEASE, TRY NOT TO EAT A HEAVY MEAL 90 MINUTES BEFORE THE CLASS.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand the basic vocabulary related to Yoga in French
- understand concepts related to Yoga practice (including pranayama) in French
- understand concepts related to meditation in French
- understand the power of combining breath with movement, how to relax all the joints and understand about correct posture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for all levels regardless of age, gender, and fitness level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
- Are you pregnant?
It is inadvisable for students suffering from certain medical conditions to attend an ordinary yoga class. This does not mean that they should not do yoga, but they may need individual attention or a special programme of asanas (postures). These conditions include hypertension (high blood pressure); conditions associated with heart disease, cancer or benign tumours; epilepsy including petit mal; diabetes; Menieres disease; detached retina; MS (Multiple Sclerosis); ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis); recent post-operative conditions; new students who are pregnant. Advice can be sought from the Department Office for those who have concerns about the suitability of the class for them.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
-Introduction of vocabulary and concepts in French
- Verbal instructions in French
- Corrections in French.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and have something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot, but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer. You may want to bring a little pillow to support your head (when lying down) or back (when sitting). It would be useful to have a yoga (non-slippery) mat to practice on and enough floor space. There are no other costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any other French and/ or health and fitness courses. Please ask the tutor or check our website.