What is the course about?
These lively practical sessions are designed for those who want to extend their abilities and skills in acting.
What will we cover?
• Physical and vocal warmups
• Group exercises
• Character work
• Text analysis work
• Scene Rehearsal and performance.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Perform a personal physical and vocal warm-up.
• Explore and analyse text confidently
• Play character and perform in a scene from a play with confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an improvers class. Perfect for anyone who has completed a beginner’s course or has suitable experience.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback.
• Communicate clearly in discussion and drama practice.
• Read and respond to a variety of text.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Take notes.
• Work within groups and pairs safely.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In pairs, groups and individually
You may or may not be asked to participate in rigorous activity from time to time. Please consider whether you could do this, if you are in any doubt consult a medical practitioner.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Comfortable clothing should be worn. You will need a notebook and pen in these sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue in this class until you and your tutor feel you are ready to progress to advanced acting. You could enrol onto a Stanislavski, Meisner or an improvisation class.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details