Develop your writing and language skills (level 1-level 2)
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / (telephone temporarily unavailable) or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: ESDW01
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will help you become a more confident and accurate writer of English and a more fluent speaker of formal English. You will work on the structure of your writing so you can organise texts such as letters, emails, essays and reports so that the ideas and information are linked and relate to each other. You will look at how to write paragraphs and also focus on sentence structure so that your writing is grammatically correct and you understand why. You will work on transferring what you learn about writing to your formal speaking so you structure and organise this speaking more effectively, use an appropriate register with suitable vocabulary and can speak well in a variety of more formal situations such as job interviews, the workplace and when giving presentations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• how to organise and structure different types of texts such as letters, emails, essays and short reports
• how to begin and end a piece of writing
• how to write a paragraph correctly – what a paragraph should contain
• how to structure a sentence – use of clauses
• how to punctuate – full stops, commas, semi-colons, colons
• how to choose the right vocabulary for formal speaking
• how structure more formal speaking such as presentations
• how to respond well in meetings and interviews.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• organise and structure different types of texts such as letters, emails, essays and short reports
• begin and end different pieces of writing
• write a paragraph correctly with good structure
• structure sentences effectively including using different clauses with accurate and effective grammar
• punctuate texts effectively including use of full stops, commas, semi-colons, colons
• choose the right vocabulary for formal speaking
• structure more formal speaking such as presentations so that the idea and information link together
• respond well in meetings and interviews.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course level is for Level 1-2 students (B2-C1). This course is ideal if you have been living in the UK for a several years, feel quite comfortable in speaking English as a second language, but lack confidence in your literacy skills. But it will also help anyone wants to improve their writing skills and formal speaking.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• ESOL level 1 (speaking and listening) / (reading and writing)
• ESOL level 2 (speaking and listening) / (reading and writing)
• ESOL for hospitality: front of house (level 1-2)
• ESOL pronunciation: stage 1 (level 1-2)
ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3 - level 2)
• Advanced English writing skills: how to write creatively, expressively and clearly (level 2)
• ESOL: Develop your writing through grammar (advanced)
• Communication skills: read well, write well (level 1-level 2)
• English for professionals: communicating, managing, selling (Level 2)
• Communicating at work: formal, informal and being polite (level 1)
• ESOL Communicating at work: letters, emails, memos, notes, meetings and presentations (level 1)
• English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)
• Matters of opinion (level 2)
• Grammar in practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2) / advanced (level 2+)
• Writing skills in practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2)
• ESOL and making podcasts: pronunciation, presentation, expression (level 1-2)
There also many maths, English, employability and communication skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more detail. These include:
• Maths for life and work (foundation) / (level 1)
• Business administration: maths for administrators (level 1-2)
• Business Administration (with digital skills): English communication skills for administrators and office workers (level 1-2)
• Finance planning: taking back control - how to budget successfully
• Essential digital skills for the workplace: Word, Excel and PowerPoint (foundation-level 1)
There also many maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more details.