Digital skills for the workplace: creating newsletters, reports and tables with Word (intermediate)
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course is FREE if you are employed and on a low wage or you are claiming benefits. For more information Click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
- Course Code: CWP11
- Dates: 20/02/24 - 26/03/24
- Time: 18:00 - 21:00
- Taught: Tue, Evening
- Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
- Location: Online
Course Code: CWP11
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is about how to produce well-presented documents in Word such as newsletters and short reports as well as work with tables and images. You will focus on how to consider the purpose and audience for your document and then how to use various functions within Word to ensure consistent formatting, well-ordered text and eye-catching layout.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as newsletter and short reports
• considering your audience and purpose and changing the layout of your document accordingly
• using a split screen effectively
• cutting and pasting effectively so you can redesign imported tables and charts
• inserting images into texts so it looks good and enhances the document
• using captions effectively
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• creating table of contents and cover page
• using headers and footers effectively
• using and distinguishing themes and styles for consistent formatting
• adding borders to enhance the appeal of a document
• using templates where appropriate.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents such as newsletter and short reports
• consider your audience and purpose and change the layout of your document accordingly
• use a split screen effectively
• cut and paste effectively so you can redesign imported tables and charts
• insert images into texts so it looks good and enhances the document
• use captions effectively
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• create a table of contents and cover page
• use headers and footers effectively
• use and distinguishing themes and styles for consistent formatting
• add borders to enhance the appeal of a document
• use templates where appropriate.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course (level 2). It is for anyone who is already confident in using Word but now wants to work on longer more complex documents than letter. It will be particularly helpful to anyone who uses Word to create visually appealing texts.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, during or after this course. These include:
• Business Administration: using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access (intermediate)
• Business Administration: getting ready for level 3 certificate in IT user skills - ICDL Advanced (intermediate)
• Business administration: how to organise and manage with OneNote, MS Outlook and OneDrive (intermediate)
• Business Administration with digital skills: how to be organised, efficient and customer-focused using Outlook and OneNote (intermediate)
• Award in Digital and IT Skills: word-processing, spreadsheets, presentations and databases (level 2)
• Digital skills for business: analysing, handling and presenting data with Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: visualising data with Excel - from column charts to scatter plots (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: creating newsletters, reports and tables with Word (intermediate)
You can do classes in the maths and English areas. These include:
• Communication skills for business: how to tell a story with data in your writing and presentations (level 2)
• Communication skills for business: how to be clear, concise and organised in your writing (level 2)
• Core management skills: leading and building teams (introduction)
• Core management skills: organising, delegating, decision-making (introduction)
• Business administration with digital skills: communication skills in a business environment (advanced level 2)
• Becoming data literate: how to present data for work or study (level 2)
• Becoming data literate: understanding data and how it is presented from pie-charts to bell curves (level 2)
• Maths for business: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 4582 0423.