What is the course about?
This short course aims at introducing the basic concepts of grammar and is particularly suitable for those who are new to learning languages or have not studied English grammar.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover basic terminology such as case names, pronouns, nouns, adjectives, complements, verbs and clauses.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- distinguish between a tense and a mood
- demonstrate knowledge of the functions of cases
- identify the subject and object of a sentence
- have an awareness of parsing and what it involves.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for complete beginners of language learning. No knowledge of ancient languages is required. As the course is taught in English, please read the outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This short course will consist of lecturing by the tutor followed by some group or individual activities. There may be some homework, which will be confirmed by the tutor at the start of the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Writing material. Handouts will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Enrol on level 1 module 1 of an ancient or classical language.