What is the course about?
This course is for very competent users of English who want to consolidate and extend their grammar to use advanced structures more accurately in speaking and writing. The grammar will be set in different, challenging contexts – such as current affairs, art, culture - which will require you to use complex forms in order to express yourself accurately. The emphasis will be on the accurate use of grammar as well as understanding how grammar affects meaning.
What will we cover?
A variety of different grammatical structures will be covered depending on the needs of the group. The main areas likely to be included are:
• uses and meaning of perfect verb forms
• uses and meaning of continuous vs simple verb forms
• when and how to use the passive
• how to use grammar to make your writing/speech more formal e.g. negative adverbials followed by word order inversion
• the use and non-use of the passive
• how to talk generally
• use of abstract nouns and relative clauses
• use of the article and non-article
• verbs followed by particles/prepositions
• use of infinitives and –ing forms
• different ways of talking about the future.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• express yourself with a high degree of accuracy paying attention to correct form and how grammar can affect meaning
• use and understand your use of all perfect forms so you can articulate the differences in meaning
• distinguish the different uses and meanings of continuous vs simple forms
• talk about the future in different ways
• identify which grammatical elements can change your writing/speech into a more formal language
• accurately combine abstract nouns and relative clauses
• combine a range of verbs and prepositions/particles accurately
• identify when to use infinitives vs –ing forms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 2+ (C1-C2). It is particularly helpful to students who need to focus on the details of English grammar and how to use grammar to develop meaning. You will need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic and creative course with a lot of interaction and opportunities to practise. The grammar will always be in the context of interesting and engaging topics.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The Cambridge English Advanced or Proficiency might be good courses for you to do either at the same time or after this course. In addition, Advanced Writing Skills in Practice and Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing are also good courses to do next as are our business English courses - English for Business, Communicating at Work and Business - Find the right word: Advanced. Our pronunciation courses will also help. Other course which might helo you include: ESOL and Singing, ESOL and making podcasts, ESOL and Film. Your tutor will advise you on the best course.